Cottonwood Lions Club

Serving our community since 1950


Cottonwood, Arizona

Located in the beautiful Verde Valley

 

Updated Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Home
Club Background
Officers
Members
In Memory
Objectives & Ethics
Lion's Song, etc.
Meeting Schedule
Photo Album
Lion Links
Contact Us
Brochure
Membership App.
Request For Assistance
AZ Tax Credit
Donations

Club Background

History of Our Club

 

In 1950 with the help of the Flagstaff Lions Club a group of business leaders in Cottonwood, Arizona, chartered the Cottonwood Lions Club.  Their objective was to serve the community by initiating and implementing various civic projects--many of which involved construction.  Among them was the bridge leading into Old Town Cottonwood, the park next to the bridge, and water piping over to the baseball diamond behind the Community Center.  They also helped with the construction of the building which still houses the Chamber of Commerce at the intersection of Highway 89A and Highway 260 and serves as a Visitors Center for our community. 

 

Our club has continued over the years to evolve to include the objectives of our international organization. (See the history of Lions Clubs International on this page.)  For many years we raised charity funds by recycling newspapers, the bulk of which funds went to funding eye exams and eyeglasses for those who could not afford them.  We still work on recycling in cooperation with Sedona Recycles, collecting aluminum cans; and we have made our services more efficient and accessible through a free clinic housed at the Old Town Mission in Old Town Cottonwood. (For more information go to "Contact Us")

 

In 2000 club members and dignitaries from all over the state came to celebrate our 50th Anniversary with us at a gala dinner at the Quality Inn here in Cottonwood.

Lions Clubs International History

 

The International Association of Lions Clubs began as the dream of Chicago businessman Melvin Jones (who was born right here in Arizona near Fort Thomas).  He believed that local business clubs should expand their horizons from purely professional concerns to the betterment of their communities and the world at large.

 

Jones' own group, the Business Circle of Chicago, agreed. After contacting similar groups around the country, an organizational meeting was held on June 7, 1917, at the LaSalle Hotel in Chicago.  The new group took the name of one of he groups invited, the "Association of Lions Clubs," and a national convention was held in Dallas in October of that year.  A constitution, by-laws, objects and code of ethics were approved.

 

Among the official objects adopted in those early years was one which read, "No club shall hold out the financial betterment of its members as its object."  This object has remained one of the association's main tenets ever since.

 

Just three years after its formation, the organization became international when the first club in Canada was established in 1920.  Major international expansion continued as clubs were established, particularly throughout Europe, Asia and Africa during the 1950s and 60s.

 

 

 

Perhaps the single event having the greatest impact on the association's service commitment occurred in 1925 when Helen Keller addressed the Lions at their international convention in Cedar Point, Ohio.  It was there that she challenged Lions to become "knights of the blind in the crusade against darkness."

 

In 1990 Lions launched their most aggressive sight preservation effort to date,  Sight First.  The more than $130 million-plus program strives to rid the world of preventable and reversible blindness by closing the gap between existing health care services and those that remain desperately needed.

 

Broadening its role in international understanding, the association helped the United Nations form the Non-Governmental Organizations sections in 1945, and continues to hold consultative status today.  Each year, during the Lions Day With The United Nations ceremonies, an award is presented to the grand prize winner of the Lions International Peace Poster Contest.

 

Since those first years, the association has grown to include 1.4 million men and women in more than 43,000 clubs located in approximately 180 countries and geographical areas.

 

  We Serve